Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Eragon read by Seth Wachlin

This book takes place in the magical land of Alagaesia making this a fiction book. The title of the book is named for the main character in the book, Eragon. Eragon is a 15-year-old farmer boy living just outside the town of Carvahall. When Eragon is hunting in the Spine, which is a range of mountains that most are afraid of, he comes across a strange blue rock. The so-called rock ended up being a dragon egg.

After the egg hatches for Eragon, which makes him a Dragon Rider, strange things start to happen. Mysterious creatures show up asking about Eragon. When the creatures kill his uncle, Eragon sets out on an adventure to seek revenge. The village storyteller who seems to know a lot about dragons accompanies him. With the help of the Brom, the storyteller, Eragon starts to develop his skills as a Dragon Rider.

I mainly chose to read this book because my brother told me to when I mentioned this project to him. The other reason I read this book was because I had seen the movie and everyone that I talked to said that the movie was horrible if you had read the book. After reading the book, I can tell you that those people were right. The book was amazing and the movie was a horrible piece of work compared to it.

One question I have for the author is how he comes up with all the names in the book. The book even has words for completely new language that the author made up and it is not simple, at least to me. Another question I have is why he kills Brom in the story. In the story, it seems to me that Eragon could have moved of the way of an arrow just like Brom moves in front of the arrow. The last question I have is if Murtagh and Eragon are brothers. I ask this because Murtagh’s mother died when he was young, and see disappeared for a while he was really young. This disappearance makes me wonder if you could fit Eragon’s story about his mother into the over all story. Eragon’s mother showed up in Carvahall pregnant, went to her brother’s house, had her baby, named him and left.

1 comment:

CHS Independent Reading said...

Have you read The Hobbit or any of JR Tolkin's books? He also creates his own language.

50/50